Wednesday 10 October 2012

It's In The Books!


As a vegan, gluten-free family it can be a real challenge to find suitable recipes. And when we do, it often requires one substitution or another - especially when it comes to baking. I am an inventive cook by no means. So "The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread" cookbook is essential in my kitchen.


Laurie Sadowski solves the mystery of flour substituting, explains each type of flour and what it is good for (as well as why, how it tastes, etc). Laurie also breaks down egg replacements, and when it is appropriate to use flax instead of applesauce. Her recipes are clear and easy to follow, inventive, and very yummy. I know because this morning I made the Quinoa Raisin Breakfast Bread.

Here is the small morsel that was left after breakfast, and packing some in the wee children's lunches.


It might not look like much, but I assure it was a great start to a cold day. Nice and warm, with a little touch coconut oil melted on like butter. I switched out the raisins for cranberries and added a little bit of extra cinnamon. My picky eaters ate every last crumb, and the husband had many good things to say as well.

This is definately a book I recommend for any vegan, gluten-free (or very ambitious) kitchen.


1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite books too! Have you tried the pizza with the onions and tomatoes (I think it is called Ladenia. It is my favorite! :-)

    ReplyDelete